Towards Culture(s) of Dialogue? Communicating Unity in/and Diversity through Language and Discourse / International Conference IADA 2020 / Discourse, Dialogicity & Dialogue (DDD)
Institute of Applied Linguistics (University of Warsaw) and International Association for Dialogue Analysis (IADA) invite to the international conference: Towards Culture(s) of Dialogue? Communicating Unity in/and Diversity through Language and Discourse (Warsaw, 22-25 September 2020).
We invite linguists, discourse analysts, sociologists, psychologists, political and media scientists, law experts, philosophers, anthropologists, culture mediators (translators, teachers, etc.), as well as other researchers from related disciplines to the multidisciplinary discussion of prospects and limits of mediating human culture(s) through dialogue.
More specific topics within the conference fall in, but are not restricted to, the following areas:
- (new) genres and modalities of dialogue;
- dialogue in (public) social institutions (media, politics, business, healthcare, courts, science, education, religion, family, etc.);
- narratives in dialogue;
- multilingual and intercultural dialogue;
- pragmatics, semantics and rhetoric of dialogue;
- searching for common ground in communication;
- (un)certainty and knowledge in dialogue: negotiating, deliberating and establishing social facts; argument structure; commitment to truth and obligation, etc.;
- positioning in dialogue; heteroglossia and polyphony of voices in dialogue;
- tension or complementariness between/within local and global, contemporary and historical, modern and traditional interactive patterns;
- conflict management and problem-solving in mediation, arbitration, social consultations, counselling, therapy, etc.; dialogue in peace-making, peace-building and peace-keeping;
- online dispute resolution;
- confronting and counteracting verbal oppression (deception, cheating, lying, perpetration, propaganda, censorship, manipulation, etc.);
- discourses of commemoration and reconciliation;
- minority and immigrant discourses in intercultural dialogue;
- ethical aspects of dialogue: participation and uniplurality in discourse; speaker/writer subjectivation; authentic and fake dialogue;
- transparency of meaning in dialogue; discoursal bias and neutrality;
- expressing reflexivity, (self-)reflection and responsibility in dialogue;
- dialogic formation of personal and communal identity; transformation of self, other and culture in dialogue; dialogue and language/culture change;
- role of dialogue in pedagogy of critical language awareness and language/media literacy;
- dialogue-oriented attitudes in intercultural and foreign/second language instruction;
- literary/artistic discourses and dialogue; translation and dialogue.
The language of the conference is English.
DARIAH Virtual Exchange Session: The Scholarly Primitives of Scholarly Meetings
This online exhibition of resources and ideas exploring the many primitives of and issues surrounding scholarly meetings, organised by DARIAH-EU, will be open from 21 until 28 May 2020. The exhibition will act as a pool of prompts and provocations for thought and conversation, a dialogue that will culminate in a 2-hour synchronous virtual exchange session on the 28th (from 14:00-16:00 UTC+1).
Varieties of Meaning and Content / The third "Context, Cognition and Communication"
The third Context, Cognition and Communication Conference will be hosted by the Institute of Philosophy, University of Warsaw. The main theme of the conference is "Varieties of Meaning and Content".
PUBMET2020 / The 7th Conference on Scholarly Communication and Publishing in the Context of Open Science
We welcome you to take part in PUBMET2020 conference, which strives to present and discuss the plurality of approaches to the scholarly communication, scholarly publishing and assessment (metrics). It will present innovative approaches, best practice discussions and take on future challenges. (http://pubmet.unizd.hr/pubmet2020/)
Between clarity and fuzziness.Investigating the concept of meaning in linguistic, literary and philosophical contexts / 5th Annual Siedlce Forum for Contemporary Issues in Language and Culture
Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities - Institute of Linguistics and Literary Studies and Universitat de les Illes Balears - Faculty of Philosophy and Art would like to kindly invite all scholars representing different philological disciplines and theoretical models to 5th Annual Siedlce Forum for Contemporary Issues in Language and Literature to be held online on November 27th, 2020 to present their research findings (not previously published or presented) in oral sessions in English. The conference will be a virtual event.